I have opinions, too

Freedom of speech is something I am very grateful for. We all have our own set of opinions and beliefs, and while they may differ, that does not make one side better than the other. I do believe that we should stand for and express what we believe in, however sometimes it can be taken to an extreme.

I've seen extremes in regards to breastfeeding, politics, religion, and the list goes on and on. Some of those battles I avoid because one side will never truly hear what the other side has to say. No matter how hard you try.

In the past few months, I have had a "friend" on Facebook express her opinions on abortion. She has every right to do so, however, she doesn't seem to listen to what anyone else has to say if they don't fully agree with her.

I believe that it is a woman's choice to do what she wants to her body. An abortion is never something that I could ever have. If I knew someone who was considering one, I would do my best to give them alternatives. Having gone through the adoption process as well as having my own children young, I feel I can provide resources to another woman. At the very least, some advice. But in the end, I believe it is her choice to make, whether I like it or not.

My "friend" is extremely pro-life. I respect that. However I do not appreciate her blowing up my Facebook wall with her articles about why an abortion is wrong. I know the facts. I've seen the signs held by protesters outside my grocery store (sadly my kids have, too). She has every right to put her beliefs out there. But some of her articles and statuses are a little far fetched.

I was ready to confront her when she was telling parents NOT to sign their daughter up for Girl Scouts because they are affiliated with Planned Parenthood. First of all, Planned Parenthood does a lot more than abortions. Second, they are not affiliated with Girl Scouts.

I bit my tongue. I knew no good would come from me confronting her with the facts. I have ignored other articles she has posted because playing devil's advocate would not turn out well. But this week? I just had to click the link because it seemed so unbelievable. She was trying to spread the word that we should all boycott Pepsi because of the biotech company they work with.


According to the articles, which you can read here and here, the research company Pepsi works with uses "aborthttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifed fetal cell lines to test their products" to "produce[s] artificial flavor enhancers".

Now, this seems a little far fetched to me, but I could be wrong. If you have any proof, please feel free to share. This is an interesting topic, but if you're going to post this kind of stuff online, please open your ears to listen to what the other side has to say please!




3 comments:

Kmama said...

I completely agree. I have zero respect for people who will preach to you and refuse to hear what you have to say.

Heidi ★ said...

that is such a touchy subject that it's easy for anyone to go off the deep end.

BUT, to basically shove one belief down everyone's throat on a daily basis is not going to help the cause.

I feel this way about Christianity - I'm a Christian but feel that those who try to shove it down someones throat are doing such a disservice to the true meaning behind it.

Opinions & beliefs are not one size fits all - & the world would be a much better place if everyone could just respect that!

Babes Mami said...

people who have strong opinions but aren't open to anyone elses drive me crazy.